[Ger-Poland-Volhynia] "LEARNING ENGLISH"

Otto otto at schienke.com
Sun Apr 17 06:44:20 PDT 2005

Kristin,
Accents:
No one is truly without accent, regardless of where they were born.
The human speech box development in childhood is influenced by
vocalization of language in the immediate area of birth and speech
development. Muscle and palette development are 'set' in very early
childhood. Glottis, vocal cords, larnynx. . .etc.
The human vocal organs: Nasal cavity, Hard palate, Alveoral ridge, Soft
palate (Velum), Tip of the tongue (Apex), Dorsum, Uvula, Radix,
Pharynx, Epiglottis, False vocal cords, Vocal cords, Larynx, Esophagus,
and Trachea.

Your grandfather undoubtedly had an accent similar to the village he
was born in. (barring speech impediment and congenital malformation of
the voice box.)  There are numerous North German dialects. The only way
he could possess a North German accent of any type is to have been born
and spoken a particular North German dialect during early speech
formative years.  As far as 'perfect English' is concerned; I was born
in the United States, in Cleveland, an area fairly free of dialect, yet
I possess a German accent.  During my early formative years I spoke
'high' German (Luther's hilly Hessian, the clan's Russian Poland
variety of it) plus a bit of Platt. (An East Prussian flatland dialect
Platt)   As an old man I still vocalize my "R's", as a Bostonian would,
to prevent the rolling of them. (Including a peck basket full of other
flaws.)

Rely on birth, marriage and death records to verify line of descent- It
far surpasses oral myth.
After some 300 years we are related only to a surname, hardly any
genetic connection is left after that.
We belong to the breeding group we are connected to.

...  Otto

                    " The Zen moment..." wk. of February 20, 2005-
            "Substance is elusive... most grasp the shadows."