[Ger-Poland-Volhynia] Re:1816 Weather affects Ancestors worldwide?

Otto otto at schienke.com
Sat Apr 23 17:06:54 PDT 2005

> Tricia M.

Familiarize yourself with the political/religious history of Poland.
Until one does, migration and reason for migration will remain a
mystery.  One must speak slowly, lest one detract from the empirical
evidence that struggles to be heard.  Our forefathers lived on the
crossroads of some of the greatest battles fought by mankind throughout
the last 300 years.  They settled in territory used as slaughtering
fields by the powerful rulers of the world. Swedes, Lithuanians,
Austrians, Saxons, French and Russians all took a turn, many more than
once. For our forefathers, safety and sanctuary were no more than a
mere promise. Poppies in Poland and Russia still bloom red from the
blood of our people.

1815, with the defeat of Napoleon, Russia began changing tax structures
in onetime Poland, causing social upheaval-
(e.g. disruption of the Polish textile industry)
Conditions became unfavorable for ethnic Germans. . . And would
continue deteriorating.

1793: Katerina of Russia invades Poland, abrogates the constitution and
partitions half of Poland between Russia and Prussia
1794: Polish hero Tadeusz Kosciuszko starts a rebellion for Polish
independence, but Russia and Prussia invade the country
1795: a third partition divides the whole of Poland between Russia
(that takes all of Lithuania) and Prussia, thereby removing Poland from
the map
1807: Napoleon defeats Prussia and creates a Duchy of Warszaw (placing
a saxon duke in charge)
1815: at the Congress of Vienna the Duchy of Warszaw is partitioned
among Russia, Austria and Prussia and the Russian tsar Alexander I
grants semi-autonomy to the "Congress Kingdom" of Poland
1865: after a failed pro-independence uprising, Russia turns the
kingdom of Poland into the Vistula Province, forbids the use of the
Polish and Lithuanian languages and persecutes the Catholic church
1890: millions of Poles emigrate to the United States- (Ethnic Germans
categorized nationally as Russians or Poles included)

On Apr 23, 2005, at 3:35 PM, rbbtfarm wrote:
> Anyway, this sounded like a possible cause and effect event, similar
> to the Irish potato famine emigration. Something to ponder.....Tricia
> M.
...  Otto

                    " The Zen moment..." wk. of February 20, 2005-
            "Substance is elusive... most grasp the shadows."