[Ger-Poland-Volhynia] The Joys of Microfilm - Indexing

Jerry Frank FranklySpeaking at shaw.ca
Thu Aug 4 05:46:07 PDT 2005

We would also like to work on Moravian Bretheren records but there
are 2 reasons for not doing them

One is that they don't yet exist on microfilm.   That makes it
impossible to index.

Second is that the SGGEE focus is on ethnic Germans.  We would
certainly work on Baptist records if they were available.  We would
also cooperate with Mennonite research but they already have their
own special interest groups working in these areas so they would
probably institute such a project.  While many Jews in this area had
Germanic sounding surnames, most would not consider themselves ethnic
Germans.  They too have their own special interest groups working in
these areas.   I'm sure we would cooperate with them where could.

Another important point to realize is that many Baptists and Moravian
Bretheren were Lutheran upon arrival in Volhynia.  They converted
during their sojourn there.

And by the way, you don't have to know German to be able to assist
with indexing.  There are only a few words required to learn because
the records are in columnar format.  The rest becomes an issue of
trying to read the handwriting, something we can all do - or at least
try to do.  :-)

At 06:24 AM 04/08/2005, Kathee wrote:
>Why limit the indexing to Lutheran records? What about the other
>religions in the SAME area, such as the Baptists, Mennonites, or the
>Jews?
>
>My ability to assist with indexing is minimal since English is my
>only language.
>
>Kathee

Jerry Frank - Calgary, Alberta
FranklySpeaking at shaw.ca