[Ger-Poland-Volhynia] ST Pete Records Zhitomir

Klaus - Guenter Leiss LeissKG at web.de
Fri Aug 5 12:43:04 PDT 2005

Hello,
I send the following question to William Remus and not he list.
He answered it partly but I think the mentioned Index may interest
more people than me.

--------------------------------
in the ST Pete records there is a marriage between

Happ, August  and Schmidt, Wilhelmine
on the  29 Sep 1882  in Zhitomer Parish
1897596/1 660  232

I'm trying to deduce if this could have been the marriage
of my ancestors August Hupp and his wife Wilhelmine Schmidt.
Since the records are probably in kyrillian Russian I'm sort of lost.
I tried at one time a film from poland where I did know where to look
for, but have not been able to identify the year or number of the records.
So I assume this will be similar. I have read in another mail that original
records may have been written in german. Does anybody knows if the
same is true for Zhitomir.

>From the SGGEE website page
"Lutheran Records for Volhynia, Podolia, and Kiev"
I would think I need Film 1884096 but when I look at the FHL website
this Film seems to be the Kirchenbuchduplikat, 1833-1885.

A note on this record says

"These records are indexed in: The Lutherans of Russia: parish index to
the church books of the Evangelical Lutheran Consistory of St.
Petersburg,
1833-1885, vol. 1 / by Thomas Kent Edlund."

Does anybody know if this Index is still available and where to get it?

William will look this record up for me and stated:

"These 1882 records will be in German. The change to
Russian began in 1885 but did not occur in this area until about 1890"

I think the last alone is useful Information, since after trying one microfilm
in Russian ( from poland ) I was discouraged to search myself in films
from Zhitomir.

Klaus Leiss