[Ger-Poland-Volhynia] FW: Research.

Gary Warner gary at warnerengineering.com
Fri Aug 26 11:42:33 PDT 2005

Roger,

I am not an expert on Lithuania, but I will try and answer your
questions as best I can.

1.   There is only one Smolensk that I am aware of and that is in
Russia, about 600 km east of Vilnius, Lithuania.

2.  The noted king is most likely the king of GDL

3.  GDL is likely the Grand Duchy of Lithuania, and most likely
included Smolensk in the late 1500s and early 1600s.   You can
probably find a map of the duchy online.

4.   Do not know the meaning of whip as used.   It may just be the
wrong word used in the email.   Sounds like the person who wrote the
email is not a native English speaker, so that is easy enough to do.

5.  Hatchment = Coat of Arms

6.  The last question asked is the most interesting, since having
talked to you about this, it seems that what you are really looking
for is some connection of the early Kroshinsky name back into Poland??

Gary Warner
Gig Harbor, WA