[Ger-Poland-Volhynia] visiting Poland advise

Michael & Maureen McHenry maurmike1 at verizon.net
Thu Dec 8 07:36:54 PST 2005

Hi

We were to Poland in early November. We book it through Orbis the polish
travel agency. The hotel selection was excellent. I have traveled
extensively in Europe and was pleasantly surprised. We speak neither polish
nor German and had no problem getting around. Most hotel staff spoke at
least a little English others very good English. I do recommend a pocket
phrase book. We had a car rental and didn't use public transport. We found
that more rural areas less English was spoken. Also the younger the person
the more likely they spoke English. Interestingly in Torun many people spoke
German as a second language. It must be a popular destination for Germans. I
qualify all this by saying that we were only in the area from Warsaw to
Torun along the Vistula River.

                                        Mike