[Ger-Poland-Volhynia] Rozyszcze Death Records Revisited

Jan Textor textor_jan at hotmail.com
Thu Dec 8 08:56:09 PST 2005

William Remus <remus at hawaii.edu> wrote:

snip

>>http://www.cba.hawaii.edu/remus/genes/volhynia/danielfrohlichsm.gif
>Now click on the above link for a close up of record 305 for a closer look.
>In column 4 you see his birth location in (as provided by people in the
>village - might not be accurate). I find this writing difficult to decipher
>but it is clear he was born in Kries (county) Kolo in District Kalisch
>(western modern Poland). The village might be Lestick. How do you know for
>sure? A good choice is to ask the list for help providing a scan. Some
>knowledgeable folk like our Jerry Frank can make a better interpretation of
>the village name and check it against a list of village names in Kolo (such
>his list is on the SGGEE website). Column 6 is easy it is the reported age
>at death (possibly inaccurate); In this case it is 60 years.
snip

Bill,

I made a search in the SGGEE Pedigree Database and found Daniel Froehlich
and his wife Wilhelmine Labrentz there.  There was no birth place mentioned
for him, but his father, Peter Froehlich, is also in the database, and his
birth place is listed as follows:
"Polish Colony Of Lasziska [Laziska] Near Town Of Babiak".
Therefore, in my mind there is no doubt that the birth place of Daniel
Froehlich that is shown in the abovementioned scan should read "Laziska".
You will not find this village in the ShtetlSeeker, but it is located about
2 km northeast of Przystronie, which in turn is located at the coordinates
52.21'N 18.36'E.  The village of Laziska is mentioned in Oskar Kossmann's
book "Die Deutschen in Polen seit der Reformation", and shown as number 1033
in table V: "Warschauer Liste der Kolonien und Kolonisten vom Jahre 1835".
In 1825 the village had 80 inhabitants, which number had decreased to 34 in
1835.

Hope this helps,
Jan Textor