[Ger-Poland-Volhynia] Making the most of your mail list postings

Jerry Frank GPVListAdmin at sggee.org
Mon Dec 12 17:43:32 PST 2005

Someone made a suggestion to me and I agreed to pass it on.  It is a
good idea.

Lets suppose you have posted some info about your family.  Then a
couple of months later, you post another question something like this
fictitious example:

"My great-grandfather said he was born in the village of XYZ.  Can
someone please tell me where that is?"

Well, someone probably will but did you miss out on possible other
help?  Consider the question reworded this way:

"My great-grandfather, Johann Schmidt said he was born in the village
of XYZ in 1869.  Can someone please tell me where that village is?"

Here you have added detail that might not only get you the village
location but possible family connections as well.  This could come
relatively quickly from someone who knows that they also have Schmidt
connections in XYZ.  But it could also come several months or years
down the road.  All our messages are archived at:

http://eclipse.sggee.org/pipermail/ger-poland-volhynia/

Search engines such as GOOGLE see these pages so that a year from
now, someone doing a search for Schmidt and XYZ will get a hit and
will be able to correspond with you.  For example, this week I
received an inquiry about my Hemminger family base on a posting I had
made 3 years ago.

So, don't hesitate to include a little extra info with your
questions.  You never know what additional results it might bring.

Jerry Frank - List Administrator for [Ger-Poland-Volhynia]
GPVListAdmin at sggee.org
http://www.sggee.org/listserv.html