[Ger-Poland-Volhynia] Ger-Poland-Volhynia Digest, Vol 31, Issue 17

HorstRenz at aol.com HorstRenz at aol.com
Sun Dec 18 15:40:41 PST 2005

My father's family is from Neudorf kr. Lutsk (Nowo. Rakowszczyna) in  western
Volhynia.  They were there from 1870 to beginning of 1940 , over 70  years ,
with the exception of the years during WW1, when they removed to East
Prussia.  Most of my relatives were born and raised within a few km. of  that
village.  I am trying to trace my ancestors back to Mittelpolen,  specifically the
Warsaw district, where my grandfather was born.  His name  was August Renz
(Rentz) and he was born 1864 in Janow/ Warschau.   His parents were Gottlieb
Ren(t)z and Josephine Werner.  Gottlieb was  born around 1839, somewhere in the
Warsaw district, I think.  Gottlieb's  next child was Wilhelmine , born around
1867 in Neudorf/Warschau.   This is a bit confusing to me--where exactly was
Janow/Warschau and  Neudorf/Warschau and are they in the vicinity of Minsk (
another  name that  has been mentioned)?  I know there were alot of Neudorfs in
Volhynia and  Poland.  It just means "New Village" and probably whenever they
pulled up  stakes and settled down in a new place, it gave rise to a Neudorf.
There was also another Kol, Janow near Beresk in western Volynia  It is  just a
few km. west of Marynkow/Beresk, where August's wife ,my grandmother  Susanna
Riedner was born, so I thought that it was reasonable to assume August  was
born in that Janow.  But The Rozyszcze Parish records from that time  show her
birth records, but not his. And the documentation I do have for  August's
birth show it to be in Janow/Warschau.  What's even more confusing  is that
August's first wife, Karoline Gatzke, was born in Janow/Plock @  1865.  What I would
like to do is find out where my great-grandfather,  Gottlieb Ren(t)z   and
his wife, Josephine Werner, my  great-grandmother were born.  Also, is there any
way to access Parish  records from around 1864 in and around Janow/  Warschau?