[Ger-Poland-Volhynia] Chodecz village question

Jerry Frank FranklySpeaking at shaw.ca
Thu Dec 29 18:24:50 PST 2005

There is no question that the pastor wrote Sowiczewo in the margin as
usual, as well as throughout the document.

I agree with Jan that it must be Sobiczewo but cannot explain why it
might have been miswritten.  That village is only a few km NE of
Chodecz so one would think the pastor would have got it correct.  The
b and w are sometimes confused in transliteration from Cyrillic but
that would not be a factor in this time frame.

I don't know if you have already found other family members but
perhaps investigation of earlier or later records will provide a
correction to this place name.  Even browsing through for other
people born in this village might reveal the correction.

Jerry Frank - Calgary, Alberta
FranklySpeaking at shaw.ca