[Ger-Poland-Volhynia] FEEFHS Conference info

Jerry Frank GPVListAdmin at sggee.org
Wed Feb 2 08:40:42 PST 2005

Paul is not a member of our mailing list but I allowed his message through
because it contained valuable information about the conference and other
opportunities.

Paul mentions one thing which I would like to emphasize.  Check for HOURS
OF OPERATION on the DAY you want to visit before you go visit any of the
other sites.  Some venues such as University libraries or their departments
operate under reduced hours during the summer months.  You might save a lot
of aggravation (or even the expense of another night's stay) if you check
first.  I have, from time to time, been in some cities on business and
dropped into various places for research, only to find they were not open.

At 12:10 PM 01/02/2005, Paul Sternberg wrote:
>Hello All,
>
>I am going to try and answer these questions:
>
> > I am planning the attend the joint SGGEE, GGS (German Gealogical
> > Society) and FEEFHS (Federation of East European Family History
> > Societies) in Minneapolis August 19th to 21st.
> >
> > Can anyone tell me about the information that is available in
> > Minneapolis and how to access it? Is there a formal genealogical
> > library? Does the UM library have good resources? How about the
> > Concordia Theological Seminary library on church history in Eastern
> > Europe?
> >
> > Do reply to the list as I think both the meetings and resources might
> > be of interest to all.
> >

>The Germanic Genealogy Society has their collection at Concordia
>University which is across the street from the conference hotel.
>This is a large collection that would take some time to look at.
>The staff is there to help the students, not outside researchers, so
>you are pretty much on your own. All of the collection is in reference
>and cannot be checked out. One should search the book titles and
>numbers from home, then bring that info with you.
>http://webpac.clic.edu/search~S16/<http://webpac.clic.edu/search~S16/>
>
>The Minnesota Genealogy Society has a library in Golden Valley
>a western suburb of Mpls. Their website is at:
>http://mngs.org/<http://mngs.org/>
>This would be a place to check for other ethnic groups such as
>Irish, Czech, Swedish, etc.
>
>The U of MN has an excellent map library called the Borchardt
>Library. I have never been there.
>
>The Minnesota Historical Society is not far from the conference
>site in downtown St. Paul.  They are the place to go if you want
>to look up the census, or find a birth cert., death cert., or obit.
>(for someone who lived in MN).
>
>The conference will include a tour to the Catholic archive in
>St. Paul and the Minn. Hist. Soc. The tour is two hours and
>it is questionable how much personal research one could do
>in just two hours. Your best bet is to show up to this conference
>early or stay later than the three days it is going on. A tour
>actually takes people away from the conference so one should
>not expect a wealth of tours. A rented car is your best bet.
>
>You will have to check the websites for GGS, FEEFHS, and
>SGGEE for further updates, however you are a bit early.
>The schedule is still in the planning stage.
>
>Poking around on the internet will give you hours and phone
>numbers for these places, maps and parking.
>
>I hope this answers some of your questions. We look forward
>to seeing you soon.
>
>Paul Sternberg
>FEEFHS Conference Co-chair for GGS

Jerry Frank - List Administrator for [Ger-Poland-Volhynia]
GPVListAdmin at sggee.org
http://www.sggee.org/listserv.html