[Ger-Poland-Volhynia] Definition on ARTISANS in Poland

Karl Krueger dabookk54 at yahoo.com
Thu Feb 3 13:28:33 PST 2005

Option C is interesting. I have several wedding records (from disparate families) from Lublin in the early 1870s where one guy is serving as a witness,  clearly not related or friends to the any of the married couples.  The profession of this guy was a hat-maker. They must have been using him as a witness for some special reason - maybe because he could read and write.

"Gilda J. Patterson" <gilda.patterson at shaw.ca> wrote:Hello,

I've finally come across some definitions of ARTISANS in Poland. After my
grandmother's birth certificate dated 1894, was translated from handwritten
old Cyrillic Russian, by a professional Russian translator via the Polish
Concillate, it was noted that one of the witnesses was an Artisan, and the
transcriber said that this was no longer a profession.

I've located this following information on this type of profession from the
1900's in Gobin, Poland:

a.. Tailors
b.. Cobblers
c.. Hat Makers
d.. Tanners
e.. Furriers
f.. Bakers
g.. Butchers
h.. Fruit Traders
i.. Drying Fruits
j.. Boot Uppers Makers
k.. Musicians
l.. Village Traders
m.. Market Women
n.. Shopkeepers
Gilda Patterson
Calgary, AB
CANADA
Researching Names: PURAT/PORAT, SCHMELTZER/SCHMELZER, RAMINOW/RAMIN;
HABERKORN, LESCHWITZ, AST, NASS, POLNAU, FENSKE, KELBER, & GIESSER.
Researching Places: MASZEWO & MASZEWO-DUZE, RYDZYNO - PLOCK DISTRICT; RAMIN,
GERMANY.