[Ger-Poland-Volhynia] Definition on ARTISANS in Poland

gpvjem gpvjem at sasktel.net
Thu Feb 3 13:30:24 PST 2005

Gilda:
    Other occupations common in Poland at the time were;
Weavers, dyers, spinners, wheelwrights, carpenters, smiths, engravers, printers, locksmiths, millers, brewers, manufacturers of items such as umbrellas, soldiers, policemen, watchmen, masons, mechanics, teachers, physicians, pharmacists, foresters, clothiers etc.and the old standby.... farmers

John Marsch

---------
  Hello,

  I've finally come across some definitions of ARTISANS in Poland. After my
  grandmother's birth certificate dated 1894, was translated from handwritten
  old Cyrillic Russian, by a professional Russian translator via the Polish
  Concillate, it was noted that one of the witnesses was an Artisan, and the
  transcriber said that this was no longer a profession.

  I've located this following information on this type of profession from the
  1900's in Gobin, Poland:

    a.. Tailors
    b.. Cobblers
    c.. Hat Makers