[Ger-Poland-Volhynia] Definition on ARTISANS in Poland

gpvjem gpvjem at sasktel.net
Thu Feb 3 17:15:28 PST 2005

    Jerry:
    I certainly would think they would be considered craftsman, and by extension artisans of their profession.  I have paternal G-G-Grandfather who was a "comb setter", I think it had something to do with the preparation of linen and wool before the spinning and weaving process took place.  No doubt he was craftsman also because it was likely a learned skilled profession as was cloth making

John

  But in context of the day and age, where does fit in.  For example, in my
  ancestry I have:

  Tuchmacher = cloth maker
  Master Tuchmacher = I supposed a particularly skilled or perhaps journeyman
  cloth maker

  Where would artisan fit in that scenario or would it not apply to that
  particular profession?

  Jerry Frank - Calgary, Alberta
  FranklySpeaking at shaw.ca