[Ger-Poland-Volhynia] Mager Family stories: Petrykiw, Ternopol area

Todd/Randi Bender bender.t at sasktel.net
Wed Feb 9 08:23:21 PST 2005

Hi Nancy,
 I am going to post my reply to the list in hopes that someone may have more
ideas.
The surname was MAGER.
I too noticed the time-line problem. I have had little luck pin-pointing
what was going on in Europe between 1906-1911. I know there were many
problems, but nothing specific for the Kamienna Werba area.
It may be that it was not the Bolsheviks but some other "threat". She
recalls leaving Volhynia under the cover of darkness, carrying what they
could when they crossed the border. Also a story of how they travelled,
hidden in a boat carrying cattle, under the hay. Was Kamienna near a river?
I have yet to learn their departure point from Europe. I know they arrived
at Quebec via Glasgow. I have not any luck beyond that.
I am going to go with the fact that although German, that Polish was their
"native" tongue. I am still confused about "being forced to learn German".
I agree with your idea that the family may have originally came from Poland
and then were re-germanized.
I have no reason to doubt too much of what Nana said as I have been able to
confirm most of her story. So although some details may seem odd, she has
been correct right down to exact dates for everything else. This is where my
question arises from.
Also have a RESKE (Riske, Riska) connection from Dowagiac, Mi > Manitoba
that I have yet to figure out, if anyone else is searching that surname.
Thanks for your input,
Randi Bender