[Ger-Poland-Volhynia] Mager Family stories: Petrykiw, Ternopol area

Ed S esonnenburg at porchlight.ca
Wed Feb 9 13:55:19 PST 2005

In German "Mager" means 'to be skinny" or just skinny

Many Germans including mine went from the Petrikow area of East Prussia to
Volhynia around 1865.  If I'm not mistaken Ternopol was in eastern Volhynia
and that
is where your ancestors emigrated to.   My ancestors also escaped in 1931
from Volhynia
and lived in Poland "Warthegau" until 1947 where they got to Germany. My
grandmother
wrote a 200 page book telling about her experiences.  I translated the 11
letters found
in the book.   Pictures and family tree included.      In the 1930s and
1940s many children were born in occupied Germany among the Poles and like
my mother
could speak Polish better than German.  I would rather believe among the GRs
that they were forced
to speak either Russian or Polish.  Even to this day in Canada I still hear
from relatives
to speak German at home.  Preserving the German language is still strong
among those
that came from Europe.

Researching  -   Binder/Bender,  Sonnenburg,  Ulmer, Karcher, Stephan, Hill
Villages    -      Ostrog,  Karlswalde,  Gruenthal