[Ger-Poland-Volhynia] Latin word

Guenther Boehm GHBoehm at ish.de
Sat Feb 12 04:48:49 PST 2005

Rose Ingram schrieb:

>I have a 1797 death record written in Latin.  I believe it says the infant
>was 8 weeks old which fits with my records.
>
>Does any know what the Latin word for  'weeks'.

Hello Rose,
Pope Gregory IX. (1160 - 1241) used both greek and latin words for
"week" and so they were generally in church Latin or vulgar Latin use:
"Nam quum hebdomada vel septimana nequaquam ultra diem septimum
extendatur, apparet, quia donatio, quae facta fuerat in hebdomada vel
etiam septimana, citeriori utique tempore fuit facta quam illa, quae
facta fuit postmodum in octavo."

Greek: hebdomas, gen. hebdomados --> hebdomada = week
Latin: septimana, septimanae = week, weeks

Guenther
of Hilden, Germany