[Ger-Poland-Volhynia] ways to look for pre-Volhynia family origins

Nancy Gertner nancygertner at mac.com
Thu Feb 17 20:50:18 PST 2005

Dan:

Have you checked the transcribed church records at the "Odessa" website?

http://www.odessa3.org/collections/stpete/volhynia/

The high mortality rate can provide some clues to origin, as if you
look at the death records, there is frequently a place of birth listed.
  Search on your family names, or on the name of the village they lived
in Volhynia, and look at the places where other people were born.
Because the people generally migrated in groups, your people probably
came from the same place as others in Volhynia.

Many people in Zhitomir had origins in Posen Province.  I've seen the
name BUSS in the Lutheran records of Schokken (Skoki) Parish in Kreis
Wongrowitz.  I don't recall seeing Wildemann or Thiergarth.  Have you
searched for these names in the IGI at Familysearch.org?

Both of these search methods have been successful for helping me
determine which LDS films to find records of my ancestral family in.

Nancy