[Ger-Poland-Volhynia] Pommer and Kluge

Kathee chattykathee at yahoo.com
Sun Feb 20 06:02:46 PST 2005

In the St. Pete transcription, I found the death of Jacob Pommer, d.
16 Jul 1881, in the village/town of Borthar. It says he was born near
Stegleberg, Prussia. His wife is listed as Anna Schiller. How would I
go about getting a copy of his death records? How do I discover when
Anna died (sometime after 1885)? Where would I begin to look for his
birth records? Family lore says Jacob was a "zuckermeister" a maker
of sugar.

At this time, only one child is known for Jacob and Anna, a son named
Michael. Michael married Frederika Kluge. Frederika's brother, August
Kluge, appears in the St. Pete transcriptions with his marriage to
Amalie Weiss on 13 Jan 1881 in Rozyszcze. The birth and death of son
Julius is also documented (b. 18 Feb. 1883 in Swiczow - d. 4 Apr.
1883 in Swaroff). Was one of Gottfried's the father of August and
Frederika?

Presumably, these villages (Borthar, Swiczow, Swaroff) are all in the
Rozyszcze Parish, but I have not had any success in locating them on
a map.

Luitsk is listed as the birthplace of Michael and Frederika's eldest
child, Paulina. Is this modern day Lodz? Where would I search for her
birth record (and those of her siblings) 1885 onward? I have a
marriage date for Frederika and Michael, but it isn't in the St. Pete
transcription - or it is in a form I do not recognize.

Canadian records indicate that religion was Baptist - Seventh Day
Adventist is also a possibility (they also believe in baptism).

Thanks in advance for additional clues,

Kathee