[Ger-Poland-Volhynia] Estate Neuhof

Otto otto at schienke.com
Mon Feb 21 21:00:40 PST 2005

I would proceed slowly on the meaning of Gut Neuhof.
A simple present-day translation would render Good New Yard  ??
One need examine the document to relate to the historical context of
the word use.

I will proceed slowly also-Age slows the finding of notes on the
subject.

I think we are discussing a bygone era.
Under Prussian law a "Gut" was a large legal land holding. ie. Real
Estate
(undoubtedly part of Feudal structure)
A "Hof" is a walled complex of buildings.  "Improvements" on the Real
Estate.
A Hof is more than a manor-house or farm or yard... Even though the
noun is used to refer to such.
("Farm" loses meaning... Huge estates were but farms)
Neuhof would refer to a new complex of buildings on the Gut or legal
land holding.

In Poland today are many Nowy Dwor, translated as New Manor.(Neuhof)
In Poland today are many Stary Dwor, translated Old Manor.     ( Althof)

I would establish who the Gutholder was.

A "dorf" is a village of individuals not living within the walls of a
Hof.
There are assorted German names for classes of peoples living within
the complex.
Humans were the basic labor units.

Napoleon (1806>) brought an end to the Feudal system.
Everyone could now purchase and own his piece of paradise.

...  Otto

                    " The Zen moment..." wk. of February 20, 2005-