[Ger-Poland-Volhynia] Hegele Surname

Jan Textor textor at oncable.dk
Tue Jan 4 01:28:25 PST 2005

Iris,

Max Miller's book "Die Auswanderung der Wuerttemberger nach Westpreussen und
dem Netzegau 1776-1786" mentions a certain Ludw. Hegele amongst a number of
emigrants from Baden-Durlach.  Especially interesting is a note by a Pastor
Herrmann of Sulzfeld near Eppingen saying that the name Hegele (as well as
some other names) could be found in the church books of his parish.

You mentioned that Rosine Meyer, the wife of Xavier Hegele, was born in
Ochsenburg.  Considering the fact that Ochsenburg (the one near Brackenheim)
is located only 5.2 kilometers SW of the abovementioned Sulzfeld, I would
think that the church books of Sulzfeld might be worth examining.

It is interesting that the town Lwowek (originally Leonberg) was founded by
Swabian settlers, many of whom were members of the Moravian Church
(Herrnhuter Bruedergemeine), a Protestant communion closely linked to
Lutheranism, because the Moravian Church also had a certain number of
followers in the vicinity of Sulzfeld.  There were also close links between
Lwowek (Leonberg) and Nowosolna (Neu-Sulzfeld) near Lodz in Poland.

By the way, you say that Xavier named his son Francipek.  However, my guess
would be that the correct spelling is Franciszek, and the German version of
the name would be Franz.

I hope this will be helpful.
Jan Textor, Denmark

                    I am not young enough to know everything. (Oscar Wilde)