[Ger-Poland-Volhynia] Re: Deutsche Geschlechterbuch

Dave Obee daveobee at shaw.ca
Fri Jan 14 23:01:02 PST 2005

Bill Remus has provided an excellent description of the Deutsche
Geschlechterbuch. I'd like to add just a couple more points.

As Bill says, these books represent a terrific resource if your family is
included. The only note of caution is that, as always, you should try to
independently verify what you find. The series is still being produced, with
volumes 218 and 219 planned for 2005. They are normally 500 to 800 pages,
and cost 40 to 50 Euros per volume.

Volumes from 120 to 217 are still available in printed form. Earlier ones
are gradually being reproduced on CD, with about eight to 10 volumes per CD.
The last time I checked, they were up to seven CDs, with the seventh one
covering volumes 49 through 56. So with luck, the series will become more
readily available in the near future. And of course, there is in the index
that Bill mentioned; the third edition has just been released.

This series is produced by the same publisher that does the Genealogisches
Handbuch des Adels, which is up to about 133 volumes. I believe it was the
Adels series that prompted this string in the first place.

And beyond all of that, it's kind of ironic: The day before this discussion
started, I lined up an appointment with the Geschlechterbuch publisher as
part of a quick trip to Germany next week. I hope to spend the better part
of a day there. By the time I get back, I trust, I'll be able to say much
more about the two series.

Dave Obee