[Ger-Poland-Volhynia] September 31 ????

Bill Fife wmfife at telus.net
Thu Jan 20 19:51:53 PST 2005

Gary,

You state "It would be nice if someone had the time to use the calendar
converter to document what year the changes were effective from the 1500s
through 1917."

This is not as simple as it may seem.  You not only have to find the date of
the change, you must keep in mind that different countries changed calendars
at different times.

If the notes I have been keeping on the subject are correct, in 1582 Pope
Gregory XIII decreed that the day following 4 October 1582 would be called
15 October 1582. This was the start of the 10 days difference

Many good Catholic countries, France, Italy, Spain, Portugal, Luxembourg,
Prussia, the Catholic States of Germany, Switzerland and Holland quickly
jumped on the band wagon.  Poland changed in 1586 and Hungary in 1587.

The Protestant countries did not want to be seen a followers  and dragged
their feet. Not until  1752 did the British Government, George II was the
King, impose the Gregorian Calendar on all its possessions --- including the
American Colonies.

By then, the cumulative error was calculated to be 11 days --- so the decree
told everyone that the day after 2 September 1752 would be called 14
September 1752, a correction of 11 days.

Lenin's Government decreed that the day after 31 January 1918, O.S. (old
style calendar) would be called 14 February 1918, N.S. (new style calendar)
so, Lenin got to abolish three more days than Pope Gregory XIII. It is  my
understanding is that the Russian Orthodox Church decided not to followed
suit and still uses the Julian Calendar as do some Christian sects in the
Middle East.

In Russia, one would add 12 days - until 28 Feb 1900 - 13 days thereafter to
arrive at NS. However, as we've seen, the Western European countries had
already made the change.

England did not formally adopt the Georgian calendar until 170 years after a
large part of the world.  Greece did not change calendars until 1923.

Bill