[Ger-Poland-Volhynia] Re: Persanzig (was Emigration to or through Canada ?)

Paul Rakow rakow at ifh.de
Fri Jan 21 05:00:04 PST 2005

  Tricia,

       Persanzig was a town (population about 1000) in Pommerania,
  which was in Prussia. It was in the county (Kreis) Neustettin.
  Since 1945 it has been in Poland, its present name is Parsecko,
  near Szczecinek. The church there was Protestant (Lutheran).
  The nearest Catholic church was in Neustettin.  If Persanzig is where
  your family emigrated from it would be recorded as Germany at that time.

       A lot of church records from that part were lost in the War,
  but you are lucky, there are good records for  Persanzig parish.
  The churches kept their own records, but also sent a duplicate set
  to the government. For Persanzig these duplicates are available from
  1810 - 1874, they are in the archive in Greifswald, Germany, but
  have been filmed by the Mormons, so they are easy to get hold of.

       There are also some marriage records from 1836 - 1870 (originals
  in Poland, but also available on LDS microfilm).

       Around 1874 the government started to keep its own records instead
  of using the churches. Again you are lucky, the records from Persanzig
  have survived and the years 1874-1882 are on microfilm. Civil records
  from later years are probably in the state archives in Koszalin in Poland.

       A better place to ask about this family would be the Pomerania list,
  pommern-l,  (which is now quite bilingual - a lot of messages will be
  in German).  You can find instructions for joining at:

>To subscribe or unsubscribe via the World Wide Web, visit
>        http://list.genealogy.net/mailman/listinfo/pommern-l
>or, via email, send a message with subject or body 'help' to
>        pommern-l-request at genealogy.net

         Hope this helps,

             Paul Rakow
             rakow at ifh.de