[Ger-Poland-Volhynia] Julian/Gregorian Calendars [was: Ger-Poland-Volhynia] September 31 ????]

Allyn Brosz zsorba99 at yahoo.com
Fri Jan 21 07:51:11 PST 2005

This is an excellent discussion of the calendar
conversion process. I'd like to add the observation
that all history and genealogy is ultimatley local.
It's not sufficient to know when a country converted
from Julian to Gregorian timekeeping. Some countries
had mixed Catholic and Protestant populations, so some
provinces converted earlier than others. In addition,
some local areas changed ownership over time, due to
wars and othe political events, so in some cases local
recordkeeping switched back and forth between Julian
and Gregorian calendars.  The link below highlights
some of these intra-country changes.

The bottom line?  Know your local history!

Allyn

http://makeashorterlink.com/?G44C21A4A