[Ger-Poland-Volhynia] family book dates/places

Karl Krueger dabookk54 at yahoo.com
Mon Jan 24 07:26:39 PST 2005

Dear Susan,
Welcome to this listserve. You came to the right place. A number of us here share many interests with your background as our ancestors also came from the same area.

You are using terms like Standesamt and Kreis which is indicative that you are looking at German records rather than original records from Poland. The certificates from September 1940 were in response to the resettlement your family underwent - they were proven to be of German descent and thus were resettled westward in Samter. These records are really German transcriptions of the original Polish birth and wedding records. Since German officials had to read these everything was transcribed into German. In effect, Hitler helped you out with your genealolgical research - as he did with me also giving me my descendants back to all my gg-grandparents.

To answer your questions, Krobanosz was probably the town where residents from surrounding towns went to apply for German citizenship and resettlement. (My family went to Cycow for this). Your mother and grandfather were born in Kamionka which is close to Chelm. Your grandmother was born about 30 km northwest of this in Zezulin (closer to Lubartow). I am not as familiar with the Baptist chronology in this area but Godziembow and Zezulin clearly were earlier Baptist colonies. Baptist colonies further south between Lublin and Chelm I think came later so that could account for why your grandfather's record was filed in Zezulin - at that earlier date the Baptist settlements may not have been established that well.

I do not know the status of the registry office records in Zezulin or Siedliszcze - Cycow has fairly complete records from 1925-37 but that doesn't help you. Now here is the good news. Your family will definitely be in EWZ. Read this link as these will give you a wealth of information on your family. If your g-grandparents were still alive in 1940 then EWZ will give you your gg-grandparents.
http://www.genealogyunlimited.com/daveobee/ewzmain.html

I can help you further if you have questions about EWZ or any remaining confusion about what happened with your family during this time period. I would also be interested to see scans of the German records you have just in case they were different than what the Lutherans received.
Karl

Susan Greer <susan at greersinc.com> wrote:
I've become quite confused after studying my mother's birth certificate
and her parents' marriage certificate found in their family book. I'm
hoping someone can help explain places and dates listed.

My grandparents, Edmund Goltz and Olga Batke, were married in Zezulin,
Lublin 1931. The certificate shows the Standesamt Zezulin and Nr.
4/1931. So I am assuming when the records are available for 1931, I
would be able to find their marriage certificate at the registry office
of Zezulin and it will be the 4th certificate in 1931.

Edmund was born on 3 June 1905 in Kolonie Kamionka, Kreis Chelm
(Standesamt Zezulin, Nr. 14/1905).

Olga was born on 20 December 1907(wohnhaft in Kolonie Zezulin) in
Kolonie Godziembow, Kreis Lubartow (Standasamt Zezulin, Nr. 32/1907).

My mother and her older sister were born in Kolonie Kamionka, Kreis
Chelm 1934 & 1938 (Standesamt Siedliszcze).

My grandparents moved in with his parents until they were able to build
their own place a couple of years later. Why would my mother have a
different registry office than my grandpa even though they were born in
the same place?

But these 3 certificates in the family book were stamped and dated 18
September 1940 in Chelm Krobanosz (Parafja Baptystow).

According to my grandmother's personal history, Hitler took over in 1940
and in October 1940 they were relocated to Samter.

So did my grandparents have to possibly prove their German heritage in
1940 so they started their family book by going to the registry office
in Chelm Krobanosz 9 years after they were actually married and already
had 2 children? Did they have to go to a Baptist Standesamt as opposed
to a closer government registry office? Would they have provided their
actual certificates to have the registry numbers listed in the family
book? Would I find any records in Krobanosz or would I look in the
original Standesamts of Siedliszcze and Zezulin?

I'm just starting to piece together my German ancestry. My grandparents
wouldn't talk much about their pre-American lives, so I have to start
from scratch on understanding what they and my mother had to live
through. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Susan Greer

Researching: Goltz, Batke, Horn, Altwasser, Bloch