[Ger-Poland-Volhynia] Ger-Poland-Volhynia - Researching Name AST, first name WOJCIECH, profession ARTISAN

Gilda J. Patterson gilda.patterson at shaw.ca
Fri Jan 28 17:53:42 PST 2005

Hello,

These are three separate queries, but all relational.

I'm still doing research on my family lineage, regarding the surname AST.
Does anyone know if the pronunciation of this name in German would sound
like "Ust"? My eldest aunt pronounced one of my great relatives as
"Ust"...and never did give the spelling (she is passed on now), and I was
looking up names such as Weist, etc.; but could not find this.

Then I finally put two & two together, only recently, as their is an Ast in
the marriage line of my gggrandmother matriarchal side that fits where Ust
would be. I've located the Maria AST marriage record to a Wojciech
Schmeltzer (possibly my gggrandfather) in Plock district 1843, and there is
an Adolph Ast (an artisan) as a witness on my grandmother's birth
certificate 1894. These could be related through marriage. I still have to
confirm more on that research link.

Could anyone also tell me what the Anglicized version of the name WOJCIECH
would be?

Also, would anyone know what the profession of an ARTISAN might be in that
day & age?

Can anyone please help, or please direct me in my research?

Thank you immensely, and for your kind response.

Gilda Patterson
Calgary, AB
CANADA
Researching Names: Purat/Porat; Schmeltzer/Schmelzer; Raminow/Ramin;
Haberkorn; Leschwitz; Ast; Nass; Polnau, Fenske, Kelber, & Giesser.
Places: Maszewo & Maszewo-Duze - Plock district, Rydzyno, & Ramin,Germany.