[Ger-Poland-Volhynia] [Ger-Poland-Volhynia Digest] German emigration

rbbtfarm rbbtfarm at wavecable.com
Sat Jan 29 13:31:07 PST 2005

Recent info has made me look back over information I have found. Wondered if
any one could put some confirmation to my speculation.

I am dealing with some facts that seem to add up concerning my
Great-grandmother, Bertha Emilie (nee Selinger) BARZ. I just recieved copies
of church records where her family settled in Joliet, Will Co., IL. My
problem is that they came during that infamous 1880-1900 period. I have the
Joilet City directories info , 1884-1892. That along with the church records
seems to imply the following possible scenario.......

The parents seem to be August 1825-1877 and Wilhelmina (Minnie) Selinger
1827-1889, (possibly Sellinger, Seelinger, etc.). The children, in probable
birth order, were Herman(n) 1855, Julius abt. 1860, and Bertha Emilie 1864
or 66. They were all born in Europe.

Herman and Bertha stayed in Joliet. Herman's family was most likely wife Eva
and sons, Herman, Walter, and George. George seems to be the only surving
son past 20 years. Bertha m. Ernst BARZ, which is my line. Wilhelmina died
1889 and Julius seems to have left Joliet about 1890. That is consistant
with the oral story of him going to the Dakotas to prospect for gold.
Supposedly he never comunicated with the family again.

Oral history has them emigrating as a family abt. 1870. So far I can find no
record of them. However, I have found the possible father alone 1870
emigrating. Then the possible Herman in 1872, age 17. As yet I have not
found the mother, Julius and Bertha. However, I found a Bertha, right age,
with a large group of children, either an infirmary or care sistuation. I
wonder if she or her mother and brother were quarantined after arriving. I
did not copy this info at the time, because I assumed it wasn't my line.
With the new church record info, I am reconsidering this and will get that
now.

Can anyone shed light on the possible procedures and most likely
circumstances that might help?  I am hoping for suggestions for other
documents I might look for online. Any insight into immgration around
1870-1885 would help.
Thanks in advance....  Tricia M.