[Ger-Poland-Volhynia] Ger-Poland-Volhynia - Researching Name AST, first name WOJCIECH, profession ARTISAN

Gilda J. Patterson gilda.patterson at shaw.ca
Sat Jan 29 13:45:55 PST 2005

Thanks Rose,

I also had another email with this info:

referred to "Polish and Proud" by
Jan and Len Gnacinske.  On page 46 they list first names in English
with their Polish counterpart.  Wojciech is listed as Albert and/or
Adalbert

And this:

Ast is a German name for "branch", like branch of a tree.
pronounced "Ahst'" "A" is always pronounced ahh, like in "Ah, yes."

Artisan simply refers to a craftsman. eg. tradesman, carpenter... some
skilled craft

The German work for artisan is "Handwerker", one that works with his
hands.

And:

Wojciech is pronounced "Voi'tsiech"
A common Polish name. One would look for a German counterpart.

German Albrecht
Latin  Adalbertus
French  Adalbert
Polish  Wojciech

Wojciech (Adalbert, Albert, George) from
http://www.rootsweb.com/~polwgw/namelist.html

the Anglicized version of WOJCIECH is George.

As to the pronunciation of AST, I would pronounce the "A" as in father.
therefore, it would be "ahst"  vice "oost

Great confirmations!

Many thanks to all,

Gilda