[Ger-Poland-Volhynia] Maliszewo and other Rumunki

Jutta Dennerlein Jutta.Dennerlein at t-online.de
Sun Jul 3 23:56:56 PDT 2005

Mike,

shifting the discussion back to the list ...

You asked if these were "German villages".
As I told you, the name Rumunki implies a colonist settlement and most
colonists in that area were ethnic Germans.
So we can safely assume that at the time of the founding of the
village there were ethnic Germans living there.

If we assume 1760 as a possible founding date of the Rumunki Maliszewo
(just an assumption based on the general history of the Dobriner
Land), this would mean that then there were probably 6-12 additional
isolated houses build in the woods near the Polish estate and village
of Maliszewo. These 6-12 farmers in 1760 were very likely ethnic
Germans. Probably descendants of farmers from the earlier German
settlements in that area.

The map you are referring to was probably created around 1920.
Between 1760 and 1920 many things could have happened in Maliszewo!
You say, the map indicates that there was a population of 1000 to 2000
(in 1920).  I think we can safely assume that in 1920 still a certain
percentage of the inhabitants were ethnic Germans. Given the (assumed)
scenario described above, the percentage of ethnic Germans might have
been anything between 0-75 %.

But all of this is pure speculation!

I asked, how you would define "German village", because I really want
to understand what your idea of a "German village" is and why it is
important for you.

Sorry, if you don't like my answers. But there is no simple "yes" or
"no" for these questions once you started to dig deeper into the
history of this region.

Jutta