[Ger-Poland-Volhynia] Film numbers [was: More microfilmed Volhynian records]

Jerry Frank FranklySpeaking at shaw.ca
Mon Jul 4 13:09:54 PDT 2005

I notice from Gerhard's list that confirmation records for Rozyszcze are included for the years 1861-1886.  These are not typical vital statistics records that one would look at but they can be extremely valuable.  Confirmations typically took place at around age 14 (I would bracket ages 12 through 16).  These records (or at least early ones that I have seen) include a place of birth for the confirmand.  This can be an valuable clue if he/she was born before arrival in Volhynia.

And a reminder to some of you that are beginners in this search - these are original parish records, not Bishop copies.  If you are searching in this parish and if you found a marriage record with no details in the St. Pete microfilms, then use these films to find the details.  You can find a place of birth for both bride and groom which can lead to a whole generation of new info.

This is really exciting material for those with roots in western Volhynia.  Unfortunately it does not help those in eastern Volhynia but we will keep up hope that someday more will come from there as well.

Jerry Frank