[Ger-Poland-Volhynia] Confirmations [was: Film numbers]

Gerhard Koenig Gerhard.Koenig at gmx.net
Mon Jul 4 15:47:24 PDT 2005

> Confirmations typically took place at around age 14 (I would bracket
> ages 12 through 16).

Jerry, thats usually correct, but I could read also from time to time
entries with older persons. Two examples from Rozyszcze (film 905256):

#1 HILDEBRANDT, Barbara	*1830 in Thiersberg Offenburg Baden, conf.1866,
entry 97, mother Barbara, no married, living in Olganowka => age 36

#2 LANGE, Ignatz *1844 in Wola Pogruszewska Petrikau, conf.1868, entry 133,
father Johann, mother Marianne, shepherd in Wincentow Bereske => age 24

> These records (or at least early ones that I have seen) include a
> place of birth for the confirmand.  This can be an valuable clue
> if he/she was born before arrival in Volhynia.

With this records we can reconstruct the foundation years of the villages in
Volhynia with their first families and their origins and ways.

Gerhard

--
Historical Society - www.HistorischerVerein.wolhynien.de
Family research in Volhynia - www.wolhynien.de