[Ger-Poland-Volhynia] no more visas for canadians!

Dave Obee daveobee at shaw.ca
Sat Jul 30 08:56:43 PDT 2005

This story on the CNN site will be of interest to anyone planning a trip to
Ukraine:

http://edition.cnn.com/2005/TRAVEL/07/29/ukraine.visa.rules.reut/index.html

Canadian citizens will no longer need visas to go there. This will make
things much easier, and much less expensive. The visa I got a few months ago
was $85, and I had to pay for photographs to accompany my application, and I
was without my passport for three weeks.

In the past four years, visas to Poland and Ukraine have cost me almost
$400.

Poland dropped its visa requirement just after it joined the EU last fall.
You still need to talk to the border guard as you enter, though. (In June, I
spent less than a minute each crossing betwen Poland and Germany, and Poland
and the Czech Republic. The Poland/Ukraine crossing was two hours, and I'm
told it was quicker than normal.)

Dave Obee