[Ger-Poland-Volhynia] Rumunki translation

Gerhard Koenig Gerhard.Koenig at gmx.net
Wed Jun 29 10:04:57 PDT 2005

> The stem Rumun does translate to Romanian.

Thats right. In a dictionary for Polish language I can read:

# Rumun = Romanian, Rumunka (feminin), rumunski (adjectiv)

> What about Jan's email about cleared woodland?

Thats right too. The word "rumunki" in the foundation history of villages
has a special backround. You can compare in German with my entry in our
Volhynian forum: http://f27.parsimony.net/forum66914/messages/1092.htm

... or with a very good source (in German too) from Walter MAAS: "Die innere
Verzahnung der deutschen Siedlungswellen, besonders im Raume zwischen Warthe
und Pilica", Zeitschrift "Deutsche Monatshefte in Polen", 1940/41, S.573ff

... or in a very short form in English:
http://www.upstreamvistula.org/Places/Naming_Convention.htm

Gerhard

--