[Ger-Poland-Volhynia] Family Photograph Database

Nancy Gertner nancygertner at mac.com
Mon Mar 7 06:20:52 PST 2005

Dwayne:

The best suggestion I can think of is to develop a spreadsheet using a
data base program like Excel, which would allow you to record different
fields of data, and to sort the data by the fields, and to search the
data base with keywords that would appear in the fields.

I'd suggest assigning a unique number to each photo.  Your data base
could show the year, location, who's in the photo, who the source was,
etc.  If you have it from multiple sources, you could have fields for
Source1, Source2, etc.  You could also have a field for notes, and in
this you could do Notes1, Notes2, NotesMe, which could explain the
different theories on whose image is in the photo.  The "Me" column
containing your opinion on whose version of people in the photo might
be more credible.

Your numbering system could be based on alphanumerics, using a
letter(s) from the surname, and maybe you'd want to use the same
numbers from your GEDCOM if it assigns a number to each individual in
the data base.  The number of the photo could be based on the most
senior person in the photo.

The Alphas could be based on the surname, and if you want to use these
for searching, they could include reference to more than one
individual, using a unique Alpha character for each surname in your
grandparent or great-grandparent tree, or however you choose to
organize them.

KGJMSZ1.2.5C1869JM for example, could be used in my photo collection as
the number for a photo with Johann August Jahnke as the senior subject,
taken in Chicago, 1869, with wife Julia and daughter Mary also in the
photo.  The GJMSZ indicates the people in the photo are also descended
from ancestors Grams, Jesse, Mallas, Sonnenburg and Ziemer, though of
course this makes the nomenclature more complex than it needs to be,
since a system with only one Alpha character could be used.  Finding
earlier generation(s) of ancestors would complicate the numbering
system, though for most of us, the likelihood of finding photos (or
likenesses of their image) of ancestors before 1869 is fairly rare,
especially for earlier generations.  The nomenclature should be
something that is logical for you, the user.

Yes, this would be a labor intensive effort, but it might be able to
save you duplication of effort and help you to focus your research.

Nancy