[Ger-Poland-Volhynia] LLOYD FRIEDRICK>Occupations again

Otto otto at schienke.com
Tue Mar 15 21:21:39 PST 2005

"Bunerin" is unfamiliar to me... It may be a local colloquialism.
Again, it may not.  Much passes by me.  Now I'm curious...

Their use of the noun "putzfrau" must be read in context.
They could be serious...
Then again, many women joke that they are only their husband's
"putzfrau".
They may speak in jest.

Main Entry:  PUTZFRAU
cleaning woman

Part of Speech:
noun

Definition:
female who performs housework

Synonyms:
charwoman, cleaning lady, cleaning service, daily, daily woman,
housecleaner, household help, housekeeper, housemaid, maid, maidservant

On Mar 15, 2005, at 11:26 PM, Lloyd Friedrick wrote:
> My Bavarian cousin tells me his mother was a "Bunerin" and that my
> aunt was a
> "Putzfrau"
> I never know whether these Bavarians are teasing me:[they have done it
> to me
> before]
> are these terms are disrespectful or slightly vulgar?
> Is it safe to put these descriptions into my family history?
> lloyd friedrick

> ...  Otto

                    " The Zen moment..." wk. of February 20, 2005-