[Ger-Poland-Volhynia] Update on earlier virus threat

Jerry Frank GPVListAdmin at sggee.org
Fri Mar 18 13:20:36 PST 2005

When I sent out the first warning this morning, I had not thoroughly
investigated the source of the problem.  I just wanted to get a warning out
as quickly as possible.

It appears that our mailing system was effective at stopping the spread of
the virus because it automatically strips all attachments before sending
out the mail.  Some of you wrote to say that your server or your virus
checker removed the attachment but in fact I think it was our system that
took care of it before it got out.

At the moment, our website and our mailing list remain as safe venues for
research and correspondence.  We are trying to determine how the message
components got through as even they should have been stopped.

Our technical expert, Matt Warner, is working at tracking down how the
problem occurred so that we can try to prevent if from happening
again.  Thank you for practicing safe computing!

If you have any questions, or if you know of any other mailing lists that
have been affected by this, please let me know personally rather than
through the list.

Jerry Frank - List Administrator for [Ger-Poland-Volhynia]
GPVListAdmin at sggee.org
http://www.sggee.org/listserv.html