[Ger-Poland-Volhynia] SCHEMIONE(C)K Family

Schemioneck, Nell Nell.Schemioneck at AirservicesAustralia.com
Sun Mar 20 19:24:45 PST 2005

I am currently researching my husband's family who arrived in Brisbane,
Australia in 1876 on the ship "Reichstag".  The shipping manifest says
that Carl Schemioneck, his wife Elisabeth Louisa (nee NICKLASS) and two
younger children came from a place called Smowen, West Prussia.  I
cannot find this on a map and do not think that the information is
correct.  It seems more likely that the family originated in East
Prussia, now Russia or Poland.  My husband's great-grandfather's death
certificate says that he was born in Plifken, Germany but I can't find
this either.  Has anyone heard of either of these towns?  It is possible
that Smowen may be Summowen (now Sumowo),near Goldap and Plifken may be
Pleffken (Plowken).  Other Schemioneck, Schemionek, Szemionek or
Siemionek families have originated in Gumbinnen, Tilsit, Koenigsberg or
Goldap areas, all in East Prussia.  I believe that Carl and Elisabeth's
marriage was registered in Gumbinnen but I am waiting to access the LDS
microfilm to verify this.

I have posted to the Prussia Roots message board but with no results.
If anyone has any information I would appreciate it.

Nell Schemioneck
Brisbane, Australia