[Ger-Poland-Volhynia] Re: Deportations

richard benert benovich at imt.net
Wed Mar 23 11:09:46 PST 2005

Only a person suffering from terminal absence of mind could have said there
were no lists of 1915 deportees when he himself had worked on the project of
transliterating the Zhitomir newspaper lists.  Thanks to those who corrected
my mistake and were kind enough to refrain from calling for the men in white
coats to pay me a visit.  However, in a lame attempt to excuse myself, I
should point out that the newspaper list, strictly speaking, was a list of
expropriated farms, not of deported people.  Not all deportees were on it.
My grandfather Boehnert and my aunt and uncle from Solodyri were deported
but not listed, and I would love to know why not.  Just administrative
inefficiency, or was there a more substantial reason?

Dick Benert