[Ger-Poland-Volhynia] Re: Deportation of Germans to Siberia

Richard A. Stein ra_stein at telus.net
Thu Mar 24 08:55:33 PST 2005

I have information about deportation of three different families.
1. My great aunt, Emma born Schmidtke, and her family lived in Gotowka, a
few km northeast of Chelm, Poland.  They were sent by train to Kustenai, now
in the northwest corner of Kazahkstan.  Along with two other families, the
Schmidtkes were dropped into a small Russian village.  The villagers gave
them some aid but had little to offer.  Emma's older sisters were able to
find some work in the town of Troitsk.  They returned ot Poland in 1918 to
find their farmyard destroyed.  Emma's father had been forced to transport
materials by horse and wagon for the Russian army.  His health was broken
from having to sleep outdoors and he died soon after returning to Gotowka.
Emma is still alive at 98 and talks of the horrible filth and crowding on
the trains and the many people who died on the way.
2.  My great grandparents Stein lived in Antonowka, midway between
Wladimir-Wolynski and Lutsk in Volhynia.  I discovered from the EWZ document
of a daughter's family that they had been sent to Omsk where two of her
children were born in 1919 and 1921.  The third child was born back in
Antonowka in 1923, indicating that they had been unable to return until
about 1922.  Great grandfather and his youngest child both died during the
deporation.  There were some German settlements in the Omsk area and I
wonder whether the Stein family was able to connect with any of those
people.
3.  The Ludwig Boelter family was sent from Pawlow (near Torczyn, northwest
of Lutsk, Volhynia) to Charkow in Eastern Ukraine.  Reportedly, people sent
to Charkow and other places in Ukraine were luckier than those sent to
Siberia.  Ludwig died in Charkow in December 1915, but the family was able
to return to Pawlow about 1918.  This information is also from EWZ records.

Dick Stein