[Ger-Poland-Volhynia] Re: Deportation of Germans to Siberia

richard benert benovich at imt.net
Thu Mar 24 15:10:05 PST 2005

Karl has referred to me as the "unofficial deportation expert".  The
emphasis is surely on the "unofficial".  And I'm no expert.  I've just read
a bit more of the German sources we have available, and I hope to try to
distill any stories that exist into something that will give a semi-rounded
picture of what happened in 1915-19.  For that reason, I want to thank the
good people who have taken the trouble to send their family stories.

Actually, quite a few expellees were sent to, or through, Stalingrad
(Tsaritsin).  Just yesterday I read two of the "Chronicles" on Jutta's
UpstreamVistula website, and both of these families (from Poland) were sent
to that area, one of them to Tsaritsin, the other through it down the Volga
to the Astrakhan area.

The June 1916 list of expropriated properties in the Zhitomir newspaper
applied only to parts of Volhynia under Russian control (so far as I know).
Actually, the Expropriation Decree of February, 1915, applied to all German
properties within 60 or 100 miles of the western border, and this included
many properties which in 1916 were under German or Austrian occupation.  Had
the Russian counter-offensive gone farther west, there might have been more
such lists in other newspapers.  Perhaps there ARE other lists which haven't
been found yet.

Dick Benert