[Ger-Poland-Volhynia] deportation

Susan Greer susan at greersinc.com
Sat Mar 26 07:30:40 PST 2005

We are in the process of translating my grandmother's personal history
and she mainly gives an account of being deported to Siberia.  She was
born in Zezulin, Lublin in 1907.  Here is a brief account of the route
they had to take.

In 1915 the Russians came and took my father and a couple of weeks later
they came back for my mother and us children.  The railroad brought us
to the city of Minsk.  My little brother died there.  They took him from
us and we never knew what they did with him.  After a few days we went
on to Moscow.  We were held in a large prison for 3 months and were only
given frozen turnips to eat.  We all got sick.  From Moscow we went to
Zlatoust by railroad, then on to the village of Nova Baelakatei by horse
and sleds about 100 km.  We had to move in with another family.

In 1918 there was civil war in Russia.  My father said we had to leave.
In 1920 we went on our way.  We got enough food for 2 weeks and went
with a sled from one village to another.  When we reached Kharkov we
were brought to a German colony and had to stay there for 2 years.  It
was very bad.  In 1921 we slowly made our way toward Moscow by railroad.
In Tula we stood for some time.  We were not permitted to look out our
windows.  When we finally made it to Moscow we were placed in a large
camp with many refugees.  Again, we only got frozen turnips to eat and
everyone got sick.  Over half the camp died, including my mother, little
brother and uncle.  For 3 long months we were in that camp.

In January 1922 we continued our trip back to Lublin by railroad and
then to Zezulin by wagon.  When we left our home it was in Russia, but
now it was in Poland.  It was March 1922 and father couldn't find our
farm.  It was desert and the buildings were destroyed in the war.
Father found a shed, which was in fairly good shape and made living
quarters for us.  Nothing was left and we had to start all over.

After I married, we moved to Kamionka, Chelm.  In October 1940 we were
resettled to Rugenfeld, Samter.  In 1942 my husband was drafted into the
German army and we were again resettled to Kammthal.  Food was rationed
but we had enough to eat.  But in 1945 all women with small children and
all old people were gathered together and transported to the city of
Samter and then on to Posen then to Berlin.  After 3 weeks in Berlin in
an underground bunker we were transported to Brandenburg.  After a few
days we went on to Mecklenburg and then to Schliefenberg and finally to
a nearby village of Tolezin.  In 1948 I found my sister-in-law in West
Germany and soon escaped from the east with my children.

My grandparents and mother never talked about their time in Poland.
They grew up knowing it was best not to say anything.  What a person
didn't know the soldiers couldn't beat out of them.  Your comments along
with the SGGEE journals have provided valuable insights into
understanding my heritage that wasn't talked about.

Susan Greer