[Ger-Poland-Volhynia] NIEDRUNGER-McHenry

Otto otto at schienke.com
Tue Mar 29 16:27:39 PST 2005

The Low-lying Areas

It is referring to the area they settled 'the  niederung', usually
referring to delta areas.  When the term 'niederung' is mentioned look
for areas along the river or low-lying boggy areas, the 'sumpf.'
(swamp)  A lot of low-lying areas exist in Poland along the Wisla.
(Weichsel)  The term  has nothing to do with lands of emigration of
colonists.

It may, I place emphasis on may, indicate settlers of Dutch origin.
They were skilled at reclaiming arable land by draining it and imposing
water flow control. They were invited to settle and drain the 'sumpf'
for the powers that be.

On Mar 29, 2005, at 6:18 PM, Michael & Maureen McHenry wrote:

> My rusty German thought that. What about the origins aspect. Does this
> mean they came from the German low country? That is North West Germany.
>
>                   MIKE

...  Otto

                    " The Zen moment..." wk. of February 20, 2005-