[Ger-Poland-Volhynia] Surname Equivalent

Jerry Frank GPVListAdmin at sggee.org
Sun May 1 08:47:37 PDT 2005

The following message was posted April 25 but did not get distributed.  If
responding, please include the original poster's name in your distribution.

----------

 From gpvjem
<mailto:ger-poland-volhynia%40eclipse.sggee.org?Subject=%5BGer-Poland-Volhynia%5D%20Surname%20Equivalent&In-Reply-To=>gpvjem
at sasktel.net
Mon Apr 25 08:13:39 PDT 2005

Joan:
     Further to Jan's information.  There is no reference at all in my
dictionary of German names, to Oszczewski, so there is no help there, sorry.

John Marsch

-----------------------------

   Joan,
   I'm sorry, but I cannot help you with the origin or meaning of the surname
   Oszczewski.  However, I can tell you that it is a very rare surname:
only 13
   people with that name were living in Poland some 10 years ago.  Olszewski,
   on the other hand, is much more common, almost 45,000 people with that name
   are living in Poland.

   Personally, I don't think there is any connection between these two names.

   Jan
   --------------------------

   From: "Joan Meyer"
accesscomm.ca>
   To: "'Jan Textor'"
glostrupnet.dk>; "'gpvjem'"
<<http://eclipse.sggee.org/mailman/listinfo/ger-poland-volhynia>gpvjem at
sasktel.net>;
   <<http://eclipse.sggee.org/mailman/listinfo/ger-poland-volhynia>Ger-Poland-Volhynia
at eclipse.sggee.org>
   Sent: Monday, April 25, 2005 3:42 AM

   > My mother's maiden name was Oszczewski. I am interested in your comments
   > as
   > to the origin or meaning of this Polish surname. Would there be a distant
   > connection with the name mentioned below - Olszewski?  Thanks, Joan.

Jerry Frank - List Administrator for
[Ger-Poland-Volhynia]GPVListAdmin at sggee.org
http://www.sggee.org/listserv.html