[Ger-Poland-Volhynia] Evangelical Lutheran church records and Ellis Island

Jerry Frank GPVListAdmin at sggee.org
Sun May 1 08:52:23 PDT 2005

The following message was posted after April 25 but did not get
distributed.  If responding, please include the original poster's name in
your distribution.

----------

Cynthia Howland
<mailto:ger-poland-volhynia%40eclipse.sggee.org?Subject=%5BGer-Poland-Volhynia%5D%20Re%3A%20Evangelical%20Lutheran%20church%0A%09records%09andEllis%20Island&In-Reply-To=>bluebird07
at bellsouth.net
Sat Apr 30 09:11:25 PDT 2005

I just found your web site and am so excited.  Today I entered my
grandmother's maiden name (Duwe) in the search and this message about Amalia
Majsner arriving with Zophia Duwe came up.  We had always spelled my
grandmother' first name with an "S" and I had not thought of using a "Z".
The immigration records I have for Sophia Duwe show she entered the US on
July 9, 1913.  She was from Zyrardow, Mazowieckie as was my grandfather Emil
Zippel.    He arrived here in 1911 and sent for her as soon as he could save
up the money.  At one time we had her certificate of Confirmation in the
Lutheran Church.   My notes say the church was in Zyrardow.  Unfortunately
the certificate has been handed around within the family and can't be found
at this time.  There was never any indication of a Jewish heritage and my
grandparents always considered themselves German (though it was said Sophia
was also Bohemian/French).  The children were raised in the Lutheran Church.
I would love to know more and would be glad to share what little information
I have.

I have not found my grandparents on any online Ellis Island list or ships
list.  Where would I find the record you quoted?

Thank you,

Cynthia Howland

Jerry Frank - List Administrator for
[Ger-Poland-Volhynia]GPVListAdmin at sggee.org