[Ger-Poland-Volhynia] Evangelical Lutheran church records and Ellis Island

Jerry Frank FranklySpeaking at shaw.ca
Sun May 1 13:05:09 PDT 2005

Finding that name in our archived messages from last December is what is
known as serendipity.  It didn't have to be there as the original name
being questioned was Meissner.  Rose just happened to mention her as the
accompanying person.

You can find more info about the parish and records on our website.  I
think if you go back to the Ellis Island records and look for her as
Zophia, you will find her.  I like to use the One Step Search at
http://www.jewishgen.org/databases/EIDB/ellis.html .

The original person asking about Meissner was Janine at
<http://eclipse.sggee.org/mailman/listinfo/ger-poland-volhynia>jankohl57 at aol.com
.  You might try contacting her personally as you my find some connection
other than friendship for these 2 ladies.

At 09:52 AM 01/05/2005, Jerry Frank wrote:
>Cynthia Howland
>bluebird07 at bellsouth.net
>Sat Apr 30 09:11:25 PDT 2005
>

>I just found your web site and am so excited.  Today I entered my
>grandmother's maiden name (Duwe) in the search and this message about Amalia
>Majsner arriving with Zophia Duwe came up.  We had always spelled my
>grandmother' first name with an "S" and I had not thought of using a "Z".
>The immigration records I have for Sophia Duwe show she entered the US on
>July 9, 1913.  She was from Zyrardow, Mazowieckie as was my grandfather Emil
>Zippel.    He arrived here in 1911 and sent for her as soon as he could save
>up the money.  At one time we had her certificate of Confirmation in the
>Lutheran Church.   My notes say the church was in Zyrardow.  Unfortunately
>the certificate has been handed around within the family and can't be found
>at this time.  There was never any indication of a Jewish heritage and my
>grandparents always considered themselves German (though it was said Sophia
>was also Bohemian/French).  The children were raised in the Lutheran Church.
>I would love to know more and would be glad to share what little information
>I have.
>
>I have not found my grandparents on any online Ellis Island list or ships
>list.  Where would I find the record you quoted?
>
>Thank you,
>
>Cynthia Howland

Jerry Frank - Calgary, Alberta
FranklySpeaking at shaw.ca