[Ger-Poland-Volhynia] Research in Pomerania ( was: Research in Poland?)

Uwe Kerntopf family at kerntopf.com
Sat May 14 13:41:12 PDT 2005

Dear Margaret,

margaret schrieb:

> area I have them coming from in the
> 1800 is Pommern, especially Kreis Stolp,
> Rummelsburg and Lauenburg.  When I
> look at maps of Poland back in the 1600 and 1700 I can't figure out if the are of
> our ancestors is Pommerm or Prussia or Poland.  The names I research are
> Lohroff, Villwock and Schwochow.

is it important for you, which origin your ancestors have? The names you
list are common in Pomerania. SCHWOCHOW, I believe, has kashubian
origin. LOHROFF and VILLWOCK I do not know the origin.

But I do have all three names in my collections and other researchers
will have them too.

> I have not done much research in the area because I do not read German and can
> not decipher the records.

I recommend that you subscribe to the county Stolp mailing list
(http://list.genealogy.net/mailman/listinfo/stolp-l) and you should try
to post a precise request (names, dates, places). Although the main
language is german, english messages aren't forbidden :-) It might
happen, that your english request may be answered in german, this is
because some of our good family researchers are able to read, but not to
write in english.

Bye
Uwe

--