[Ger-Poland-Volhynia] Ger-Poland-Volhynia Digest, Vol 24, Issue 5

William Remus remus at hawaii.edu
Sun May 15 22:06:13 PDT 2005

    In a West Prussian record (1807) I have encountered the following
as the occupation of one of the principals,.  "Frey Gutsbesitzer"
I have exhausted all my resources, unless there is one on the Internet
I haven't checked. so I am asking for help.

John Marsch

Dear John

I too have seen this phrase, frei gutsbesitzer, often in the records.
As noted in the replies of others, gut besitzer is the person who is
in contol of and resident in the gut (estate house). However, I am not
sure that frei (free) means owns. I think it often meant more like
owner of a lifetime lease (as the Polish nobility might still hold
title). Some times these were inheritable and sometimes not.

Regards Bill