[Ger-Poland-Volhynia] Rjalo Settlement 1852 time-frame

Jerry Frank FranklySpeaking at shaw.ca
Thu May 26 13:59:53 PDT 2005

At 02:23 PM 26/05/2005, Gilda J. Patterson wrote:
>Is anyone acquainted with this settlement area? Rjalo Settlement near Plock.
>Could this possibly be Rakowo or Rybaki or Ruda.
>The document was transcribed by a very good friend who is a doctor & who is
>transcribing my Great Aunt's wedding document in old Polish handwriting.
>
>Thank you for any help.
>
>Gilda Patterson

I have seen many place names butchered by well intentioned, and otherwise
well qualified, transcribers.  They simply do not know enough about
geography and places to be accurate.  In Poland there are no place names
whatsoever that begin Rj...  By sound, it would be Ri... (there are none of
those either) or Ry...  of which there are numerous
possibilities.  However, in no case is Ry... ever followed by any vowel.

If you send me a scan of the document privately, I will try to get a better
reading for you.  Please include as much of the document as possible, not
just the line with the place name, so that I can compare the handwriting to
other parts of the text.

Jerry Frank - Calgary, Alberta
FranklySpeaking at shaw.ca