[Ger-Poland-Volhynia] Germans speaking Polish

Penny Draper draperpe at msu.edu
Tue Nov 1 19:33:59 PST 2005

To add to the language discussion concerning Germans in Russian-occupied
Poland.   My gr grandfather of German descent, Julius Gotz, spoke
German, Polish, Russian, Yiddish, English and Arabic with fluency.  His
rural neighbors in Lansing Michigan enjoyed speaking Arabic with him,
perhaps somehow learned during his service in the Russian army. He had a
fruit farm in Michowice, Poland, and immigrated in 1912 to America (his
son inherited the farm).

 I am researching the following surnames (Pekrul, Gotz, Brokob, Rolloff,
Calbert, Bretke) from the  Michowice, Kozikow, Wionczemin, Sady,
Swinary, Gombin, Gostynin communities.  I would be grateful for any
information and do have specific names and dates if any member has
records from these areas or those surnames in databases.  Thanks in advance!

Penny Draper
East Lansing, MI